Corn cookies

Have I mentioned how much my parents love corn? One of the major downsides of being a delinquent blogger over a very looong period of time is that I can never remember what I've already talked about it and I can't be bothered to check. Well, whatever the case, my parents' love for corn is so prodigious, it bears repeating.

Every summer, when the Chilliwack peaches and cream is at its finest, they team up with the people next door and host a corn roast on the street. People young and old timidly emerge from their homes and gather in an odd little walkway/driveway to make small talk with their neighbours and gorge on butter-soaked corn. My parents have been organizing it for years and people are surprisingly into it. I say surprisingly because the corn roast is not my favourite. I'm far less gregarious than my parents and one cob of corn is more than enough for me.

But.

If they started serving corn cookies for dessert...

Corn Cookies
225 grams butter, at room temperature
300 grams sugar
1 egg
225 grams flour
45 grams corn flour*
65 grams freeze-dried corn powder**
3/4 teaspoon baking powder 
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

* Note that corn flour is not the same thing as cornstarch. I used Bob's Red Mill Corn Flour, which is pretty easy to find in most urban grocery stores these days.

** My friend P. discovered little 85-gram packets of freeze-dried corn at a local Asian grocer. I ground it up good in my food processor and used the resulting powder in place of the freeze-dried corn powder mentioned above.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high for 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg, and continue beating for 7 to 8 minutes longer.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, corn flour, corn powder, baking powder, baking soda. Add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until the dough comes together (about 1 minute).

Divvy the dough into 1/3-cup portions on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten the domes. Wrap the pan tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 week.
When you're ready to go, preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and line another baking sheet with parchment paper.

Arrange the chilled dough on the baking sheet, leaving 10 cm (4 in) between balls. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the cookies puff, crackle and spread. You want them to be bright yellow in the centre and golden brown around the edge.
 Cool the cookies completely on the pans before storing them in an airtight container. Store them at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.

Source: Christina Tosi's Corn Cookies from Momofuku Milk Bar, as posted on The Kitchn.

Labels: